Beverley Town Football Club currently runs 3 men’s open age teams on a Saturday with the first team and reserves playing in the Humber Premier League and the academy side plays in the East Riding County League.
Academy coaching is available for Under 6’s at Beverley Leisure Centre on Saturday morning.
Sunday’s sees teams from Under 7 through to Under 17 playing in the Hull Boys Sunday League.
The club also has a ladies open age team playing on a Sunday.
Further details can be obtained from Gary Proud – tel. 0772 067570 or email [email protected]
Beverley Town Football Club have been operating as one of the sections of the club at Norwood Park since 2000 but football at the ground goes back to the 1950’s.
Manor Park which adjoins Norwood Park was the home of the legendary Beverley White Star football team and they played in the Beverley Football League. One of the teams in the league was Beverley Rangers whose manager, Jack Gittoes, lived in the last house in Recreation Lane, Garden Cottage. At the beginning of the 1950’s they changed their name to Beverley Town and moved to Norwood Park.
The original pitch was on the 3rd XI cricket pitch and they even boasted a 3 step stand which was 30 yards long complete with a cantilever roof! Beverley Town and Beverley United amalgamated in 1954 following a meeting at the Telegraph Hotel.
In the 1960’s a very successful Beverley Town team played in the First Division of the East Riding County League. The 1960 team included such local talent as Eric Bagley, Colin Cherry, Pete (Bud) Fisher, Stan Anderson, Bernard Watson, Brian Young, Dave Woodrup, Ginger Shields, Chris Stephenson and Peter Thirsk.
The team won three Stanley Wilson Cups, was runners up twice in the First Division of the County League and reached the Senior Country Cup Final. One of the clubs highlights was that they had Hull City star’s John McSeveney and Tom Wilson join their coaching staff. How many local clubs could boast having two professional footballers on their coaching staff?
The club left Norwood and moved to a new ground at the Barracks but following the demise of the Rugby League team foot ball returned to Norwood Park in 2000. A requirement of the new Humber Premier League meant that Grammarians approached Norwood Park and an agreement was reached for the club to become a new section of the club thus Beverley Town Football Club returned home.